SMO- The new wave in Online Marketing
With the introduction of newer Web channels like blogs, social media channels, social bookmarking sites and various social networks, search engines are no longer the only source of valuable traffic to your website.
A good article or a good story on a popular social media site can drive more traffic to your website than a top search engine ranking. All this has created a new process called Social Media Optimization (SMO).
Social Media Optimization (SMO) is the new form of Word of mouth marketing through the use of social bookmarking, social networking and media sharing (video, photo, presentations etc) websites. The prime motive of Social Media Optimization is giving people a cause to visit and connect to your website because of the interesting and unique content.
Social Media Optimization (SMO) is entirely different from Search Engine Optimization (SEO). With Search Engine Optimization you are marketing to the search engines while with Social Media you are marketing directly to your targeted audience. Search Engine Optimization is all about building search rankings on the search engines while SMO is all about building a brand image for your business and lasting relationships with your target audience.
Basic rules of Social Media Optimization (SMO)
- Increase the likability by adding unique and appealing content that others will want to utilize as a resource.
- Include “Quick Add” links making it easy to del.cio.us, digg, etc.
- Using Permalinks and listing latest connecting blogs on your site gives more visibility to those who link to you.
- Submitting your content to relevant sites will help your content travel more, and ultimately drive links back to your site.
- Participating in different forums and blog commenting helps your message spread faster and further. It helps a lot to be more open about letting others use your content (within reason).
An aggressive and an excellent SMO approach is how intelligent companies gain tactical benefit over their competition. It is the smart social strategies and techniques that help good companies become great companies.
7 Comments + Add Comment
Got anything to say? Go ahead and leave a comment!
You must be logged in to post a comment.